18% nickel-silver is the usual fretwire used by most guitar builders and repairers. It is an alloy of copper with 18% nickel and trace quantities of other metals.
Our wide range of sizes is supplied from several manufacturers, with most coming from Japan.
Stainless steel wire is harder and wears down more slowly but is more difficult to cut, bend, install and profile. We have a more limited range.
Hypoallergenic wire has no nickel.
Typical uses for our sizes:
- smaller wire for acoustic guitars and early Fender electrics
- LT-0465-000: 2.00 x 1.30mm or LT-0468-000: 2.00 x 1.10mm
- old jumbo for Gibsons
- LT-0472-000:2.70 x 1.20mm
- modern jumbo for guitar and bass
- LT-0482-000: 2.80 x 1.40mm or LT-0464-000: 2.90 x 1.30mm
- high narrow wire
- LT-0867-000: 2.40 x 1.40mm
See our other article for comparable sizes to Dunlop fretwire.